Michigan UFCW Health and Welfare Fund offers a Retiree Health Plan designed to meet the healthcare needs of participants who retire before the age of 65. It essentially bridges the gap between active benefits and Medicare coverage. Retirees may also elect to continue coverage under the Active plan through COBRA continuation coverage described in the Active Summary Plan Description.
If you are an eligible Retired participant or eligible dependent spouse of a retiree, view your Retiree Plan Summary Plan Description for complete details about Retiree Plan benefits or view the Summary of Benefits for Retiree Plan.
Must meet all of the eligibility requirements to qualify.
Additional provisions may apply according to the Retiree Summary Plan Description
- You must have attained age 55 but not age 65; and
- You must have participated as an active full-time employee in the Michigan United Food and Commercial Workers Unions and Employers Health and Welfare Fund for at least 15 years; provided if an individual participated in the Michigan United Food and Commercial Workers Unions and Employers Health and Welfare Plan but, without leaving active* employment with his or her Employer, transferred participation to the Heartland Fund as a result of his or her Employer’s negotiating a transfer of participation into the Heartland Fund, any such years of service may be counted for purposes of satisfying the 15-year requirement; and
- You must have retired directly from active employment with a Contributing Employer and be eligible to receive a pension benefit from the United Food And Commercial Workers International Union – Industry Pension Fund, or a predecessor pension fund. (For purposes of this provision, active employment shall include, after a Contributing Employer ceases to make contributions on behalf of the individual, the individual’s continuation on the Contributing Employer’s seniority list with recall rights, but not in excess of twelve (12) Months following the Participating Employer’s discontinuance of contributions on behalf of the individual, and subject to the individual applying for and being entitled to receive a pension effective no later than the expiration of such twelve (12)-Month period); and
- You throughout the period of five years immediately preceding retirement, he must have been employed by one or more of the Contributing Employers in a position covered by the collective bargaining agreement (regardless of whether contributions were made to this Plan with regard to his service for the entire five-year period); and
- You for at least three of the five years immediately preceding retirement, he must have worked as a full-time employee for whom employer contributions were made to the Michigan United Food and Commercial Workers Unions and Employers Health and Welfare Plan and/or the Heartland Fund, except that where the Plan has existed for less than three years or a Contributing Employer has participated in this Plan for less than three years, this requirement shall be applied by substituting such lesser period; and
- In order to enroll in the Plan, an Eligible Retiree must file an application for coverage with the Fund Office. An Eligible Retiree will not be covered under the Plan for any period before an application for enrollment is filed.
Employers include: Kroger, Hollywood Markets, Local 951 and Local 876 Employees, and Michigan Administrators, LLC.
*Active employment includes your continuation on your Employer’s seniority list with recall rights, for up to 12-months after your Employer stops making contributions to the Plan on your behalf. You must apply for and be entitled to receive a pension effective no later than the expiration of the 12-month period.