A warm and savory option for your sweet tooth.
1 cup dried cherries
2 pounds sweet cherries, pitted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-natural flour or whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sliced almonds
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 277 | Protein: 3.3g | Carbohydrates: 52.2g | Dietary Fiber: 5.5g | Sodium: 103mg
1. Boil 1 cup water and combine dried cherries, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Combine dried cherries with the water, and add the sweet cherries, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in large bowl, stir well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Pour the cherry mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. 5. Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
6. In the meantime, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and almonds in a bowl, stir well.
7. Combine butter and almond extract in a small bowl and drizzle over oat mixture, stirring until clumps form.
8. Remove cherry mixture from oven, and sprinkle evenly with the oat mixture. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes, serve warm.